What is new in High Street…
It took 4 hours to sort it with a digger…
All jokes aside, one would have to ask why it took nearly 7 years for the issue of 135 High Street to be resolved.
We asked for help numerous times:
- The land owner- it was uninsured..
- CERA (Govt) The less said about these guys the better.
- CCDU (Govt) -Waste of time…
- DC Christchurch (CCC) -No money no power.
- The CCC -They denied they had the power.
- CCC Heritage….. Well meaning but toothless..
- Lawyers… $$$$
- LINZ (Govt) who are in charge of these things now (They Ducked for cover, no response…)
- The Minister of Building and Construction Dr Nick Smith… (Govt) ( Not my problem he says…)
No One would or was willing to address the issue.
There is a much bigger picture here that needs to be addressed. Who in the future is going to make sure this situation does not occur again? Wellington it is your turn now, you too could face the same problem…
One Building owner should not be able to hod up progress in an area to the detriment of surrounding and functioning businesses.
Minister Nick Smith is plain WRONG. This issue needs to be addressed, it is occurring all over the country as buildings are abandoned, often demolition costs are exceeding the value of the land. So it is easier to walk away.
The legislation is patently flawed and I feel that the responsibility for this failure lies with the Minister, Nick Smith. This situation has been an epic failure on his part.
It should never be allowed to occur again..
Whoops I forgot… I got another building just like this one on the other side.
The law is an ass…
ho hum… I would like to see the figures on the number of Business closures in the CHCH CBD in the last 7 years, and the figures for how many survived the quakes and the shambles that followed…
PS. I have been told that our end of High Street is closed. Has been for months. That accounts for the parking problems I have been going on about. I found out by accident. NO ONE TOLD or asked me. CCC another epic failure….
NOTE TO CCC PARKING DIVISION: WE ARE STILL TRADING OUT OF OUR BUILDING…..