CERA is gone, ye ha, some progress at last after 5.5 years. Or is it??? We now have a myriad of quasi government organisations taking over CERA’s functions. One hopes that they will do a better job than CERA, but that may well be a vain hope.
We now have the: Christchurch City Council/Regenerate Christchurch/Otakaro Ltd/ Land Information New Zealand(LINZ) all having their fingers in the pie. I watch with interest to see if they can unravel the tangled mess. I note that most of the CERA staff have been transferred to these new departments so I assume that it is business as usual. An inability to make sound commercial decisions and more “pie in the sky”, grandiose plans. Ho hum who cares. Who knows who is in charge of this lot now? It’s like a black hole of government departments.
The central city is still a mess. Although I have seen some signs of improvement. The problem is that few of us go into the city anymore. And I live here. If I have to walk across town I by-pass the central city.
So What is new in High Street?
1.The McKenzie and Willis site, being developed by Richard Peebles, is making great progress. Ye ha. The scaffolding came down briefly the other day so here is a brief view of it “scaffold less”. ( Is that a word?) http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/business/the-rebuild/79148528/historic-mckenzie-and-willis-facade-revealed–but-not-for-long
McKenzie and Willis Facade. Looking good!
Progress is rapidly occurring at the rear as well.
2. The Excelsior site has now been demolished. It does look better. Link here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/business/the-rebuild/78749969/heritage-facade-on-old-excelsior-hotel-in-christchurch-demolished
3. I see Johnny Moore at Brick Farm is having trouble with rabbits. Now that is funny, Sorry Johnny. Add rabbit pie to the menu? I also have possums, pigeons, cats, rats and 2 legged human weasels at my end of the street. Link Here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opinion/79634466/johnny-moore-rabbiting-on-with-visions-of-extermination
2. There is the odd “rumour” about the fate of the Duncan’s Buildings. All I can say is it sounds promising. If only one can get the government to make a decision! yeah right! Useless lot that they are.
3. No propping of the Duncan’s Facade has occurred under either the CCC/CERA/Regenerate Christchurch, leadership in 5.5 years. It is desperately needed. No sign of even an attempt to “Make safe”. Days from notification to CCC off structural failure so far at: The CCC compliance team was notified on the 16 March 2016. The count so far: 62 days…… please explain?????
Incidentally some one asked me the other day who our Case Manager/Block liaison person at CERA/Regenerate Christchurch is? The second part of the question was when had I last had a conversation with them. After a long silence I had to admit too: No idea and have not got a clue!
4. The Valentines Day quake was a beauty and caused some cracking in our (half off) pediment, way up on the top of the facade. The Engineer’s conclusion was that it was terminal. Thus we have had to re-scaffold and demolish it. Bugger!
Pediment is cracked and generally munted.
It would be helpful if the neighbour Jon Webb was not basking in the sun in Vietnam. Sigh. I can not rebuild it as I only own half of it. So I have had to come up with a temporary solution.
We have redone the brick work and created a couple of pods.
It’s a pity that no one will take an interest in what is happening to the street. As usual all the powers that be are conspicuous by their absence. For heavens sake, the powers that be can not even get the wreck that sits beside us demolished. How useless is that!
ho hum another day. Better head off to my new day job.
PS. My house is just headed back to amended building consent. ye ha. I reckon I might be in it in 12 months. No hurry of course its only been 5.5 years.